The Weekend Report – Games, Music, Books
- I beat Zuma again! For the third time. I’m visiting PopCap games in Seattle this week for a Developer Spotlight. I’m going to BEG for Zuma DLC.
- I know I always say I don’t like violent games, but I’m having so much fun with Dead Rising. I especially like heating up a frying pan and searing the faces of zombies. I kind of have a crush on Frank Ward. I know he’s on the chubby side, and he’s got bloodshot eyes, but well…I dig him anyway.
- BFME 2. It wasn’t me. A friend of mine was playing it at my house. After like three hours I noticed he was wriggling in the chair and was like Dude, what is wrong with you? Turns out he had to pee, but didn’t want to stop playing. Boys.
- I’m totally digging Christina Aguilera’s Back to Basics. It’s mellow and funky and the girl can SING. There’s also this song "Candy Man" that sounds like a naughty Andrews Sisters track. Back when I first started doing the Gamer Spotlight I used to ask "Britney or Christina?" Back then Christina was skanky and Britney was the sweetheart. Oh how times have changed, n’est-ce pas?
- I’ve discovered an amazing author: James Morrow. I devoured his newest tome The Last Witchfinder which was so good I was loathe to finish it. After that I read his Towing Jehovah. He’s a brilliant, hilarious writer.
- I picked up Rick Steve’s Spanish Phrase Book. (I loved his Italian one) only to discover that they actually speak Catalan Spanish, not Castillian Spanish in Barcelona. So while in Madrid good morning is "buenas dias" in Barcelona it’s "bon dia". Grrr.
- I’m reading an amazing book about Genghis Khan by Jack Weatherford. Did you know that the Soviets closed off the area where Genghis Khan was born to discourage any Mongol nationalist uprisings? And did you know a Mongol warrior’s soul is thought to reside in his Spirit Banner? It’s fascinating and I’m only on chapter one.
- Has anyone seen Snakes on a Plane? I love Samuel L. Jackson, but my snake phobia is intense. I almost threw up when I saw the Python at Woodland Park Zoo.
- I want to see Talladega Nights again!