Downtime coming. Here’s what to do.
Xbox.com and the Xbox Live service will be bye-bye on October 17th. Read about it here.
Here’s my list of the Top Ten Things to Do October 17. What are YOU gonna do?
- Boost your gamerscore. That’s right, you can still earn achievements when you’re offline. Your achievements will be uploaded to the Xbox Live service when it becomes available.
- Bust out your big black buddy original Xbox. There are still awesome games coming out for Xbox®. In fact Destroy All Humans!™ 2 comes out on Tuesday October 17. That’s pretty good timing.
- Go shopping! We’ve had a boatload of great games and accessories release in the last few weeks. Check out LEGO® Star Wars II®: The Original Trilogy, Xbox Live Vision Camera, Test Drive® Unlimited, and lots of other great stuff. Make your local retailer very happy.
- Nominate a friend for the Gamer Spotlight. TriXie’s email will still be working, so drop her a line at email@example.com and tell her who you think needs some attention on Xbox.com.
- Listen to Xbox podcasts. Visit Gamertag Radio, XBLRadio, SquadXP, and Unscripted360, just to name a few. We’d suggest Major Nelson’s ‘cast, but we know everyone’s already listened to all of his!
- Study up on October 17 history. Here are some examples of momentous events that occurred on 10/17:
- 1931: Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion.
- 1933: Physicist Albert Einstein arrived in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany.
- 1945: Col. Juan Peron staged a coup, becoming absolute ruler of Argentina.
- 1979: Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Birthdays! October 17 is also the birthday of Rita Hayworth, Evel Knievel, Mike Judge, Eminem, and Superman creator Jerry Siegel! It’s a great opportunity to use Xbox 360™ for more than games—watch the Shawshank Redemption, Beavis and Butthead, and Superman: the Movie.
- Holiday anyone? Hoist a glass in honor of The United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (just don’t waste any) and Black Poetry Day in the U.S.
- Talk to your significant other. Remember them? You last spoke about 11 months ago when you got your Xbox 360 console. Just don’t say anything like, "Have you gained weight?"
- Make your holiday wish list. HD DVD anyone? How about the Wireless Headset and Wireless Racing Wheel? How about that cool new Zune thingamagig and the cool accessories to go with it? Don’t forget Gears of War®, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent™, and Viva Piñata!