How you say idiot in Italian?
Okay, so after fumbling in the dark for ages trying to turn on the light in my hotel room bathroom I finally went down to the front desk. They sent up a bellboy who mimed for me that you have to stick your room key in this weirdass slot in order to make the lights work. Wha? That’s not exactly intuitive. And what is the deal with that? To conserve energy? You must be present to win? Perplexing.
Trip highlights so far:
- Sunday I had a near miss with my laptop. I bought this iGo charger thing that was supposed to eliminate the need to bring battery chargers for my camera, cell phone and laptop. BUT I had the model number wrong, and when I plugged it into my laptop it killed it. ALMOST had to call my boss and take a Brit beating, but decided to suck it up and call Toshiba first! Luckily taking out the battery and putting it back in brought my trusty laptop back from the dead.
- Same dude at Radio Shack that talked me into the iGo sold me two electrical adapters. I’d told him I was going to Italy. Turns out my adapters work everywhere in continental Europe except Italy and Switzerland. Luckily the front desk loaned me one. And one will have to suffice as there is only one electrical outlet in the room. I’m not super stoked about Radio Shack right now.
- So, TriX, how many crying babies were on your flight? I’m glad you asked, boys and girls. There were THREE. A crier, a screecher and a whiner. I actually like babies and little kids. I worked in a Montessori preschool and even served time as a nanny believe it or not. But DAAAMN Gina, they need a sound proof booth at the back of the plane for babies. It just isn’t fair to inflict your offspring’s earsplitting screams on a whole plane of trapped people!
- Luckily I had my noise-cancelling headphones and I watched The Breakup, A Scanner Darkly, and Aliens. Plus I played Bejeweled.
- My room has one bed, so my roomie, who arrives tomorrow will have to be happy with the floor, as I met this woman once for about 5 minutes (which made it surprising that she’d call and ask to crash in my room), but needless to say there shall be no spooning.